*Please note that only Super Administrators can create Cost Centers.
Cost Centers are more for the accountants, bookkeepers or personnel who deal with payroll. Essentially it is a tool to help customize how you want costs grouped on the Journal Entries report. This is how you view how much has been spent on labor, such as FOH salary, FOH hourly, BOH salary, BOH hourly.
Based on your Journal Entry settings (either sorted by Employee Cost Center or Position Cost Center view), the report generated will allocate the information to the corresponding Cost Centers.
*We highly recommend sorting Journal Entries by Position Cost Centers.
- Employee "Home" Cost Center: This refers to the Cost Center assigned to an employee in their employee profile. Please note: if your journals are sorted by "Employee Cost Center", employees can only have one Cost Center, even if they hold multiple positions.
- Position Cost Center: This refers to the Cost Center assigned to a Position, in the Employee Positions page.
Below are the steps to create Cost Centers for both Positions' and Employees' home Cost Center.
Create a Cost Center:
- Click into "Employees" and then into "Cost Centers" on the left hand side.
- Once here, you can create all the Cost Centers you would like to see on your Journal Entries report.
Assigning the Cost Center to a Position.
- After these Cost Centers have been created, you may go back up to "Employees" tab at the top of the screen and click into "Employee Positions" on the left hand side.
- Select the Edit (pencil icon) beside the Position name, and under the Cost Center heading, assign each position a Cost Center.
Assigning employees a "home" Cost Center
- Click into "Employees" in the top navigation bar.
- Once here, click the pencil icon to edit the employee's profile.
- Scroll down to Cost Center box and click the drop down to assign a Cost Center to the employee.
- Once completed, please make sure you scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Update Employee".
Journal Entry Sorting
Please note: only Super Administrators have access to Journal Entry Settings.
If you would like to change your how your Journal is sorted, click your name at the top right hand corner and go to "Company Setup". On the left hand navigation bar, select "Journal Entry Settings".
Once the page has loaded, you will be see the headings below:
- "Separate Vacation by Cost Centers" will distribute vacation pay in reflection of your Cost Center settings. (either Employee's home Cost Center or Position Cost Center)
- "Group Vacation Pay" will group vacation pay into its own section in your Journal.
- Employee Cost Center will sort costs into the cost center assigned to an employee in their employee profile.
- Position Cost Center will sort costs into a Cost Center assigned to a Position.
Show Invoice Items
- This refers to the costs on your invoice that are not included in your company Cost Centers, such as Push Service fees, Rejected Payment fees, etc.
Once you have updated the Journal Entry settings to how you would like to view the Cost Centers, you will need to click on Re-Run Distributions from your Journal Entries report to reflect the changes that were made.